Saturday, February 12, 2011

R.I.P. Guitar Hero, but I honestly will not miss you

Guitar Hero II for the 360 was (and still is) one of the most engaging games I ever played on that console. I have exactly zero musical ability, and it was a thrill to finally visualize decades of air guitar shredding to more than a few songs that I really liked.

It was also humiliating to fall on my face trying to even pass a stage with an Iron Maiden song I must have listened to hundreds of times in the past 25 years or so. To my relief there were other songs that I nailed cold (Strutter, YYZ), so I think I paid for that transgression in spades.

For some reason I got tired of playing it, and I was never attracted to the games that came out since, or the Rock Band franchise. Friends played both franchises and mostly liked them all.

Here's a fantastic timeline on the 19 versions of the Guitar Hero series that spawned over just five years:

R.I.P. Guitar Hero, but I honestly will not miss you. (Timeline) : gaming

No comments:

Post a Comment