Monday, February 21, 2011

Laptop Design For Disassembly - Slashdot

Laptop Design For Disassembly - Slashdot

I don't even think it needs to be so extreme, but there is absolutely no excuse for the parts of the laptop that become obsolete faster to take more than a couple of minutes to swap. I swapped a drive on a one-year old Dell and all it took was to remove two screws and a third one that held a plastic fascia in place. It took maybe 5 minutes. As nice as it was, except for the hard drive, DVD and RAM, almost nothing else in the laptop can even be swapped. How come the networking, wireless and GPU are not built into pluggable modules like the ones that fit into the ExpressCard slot? I know GPUs have cooling issues, but I am sure that this should take no more than designating one of these slots only for the GPU and add the proper heatsinks to it. The other things like the networking and wireless cards should have absolutely no trouble fitting and working in this form factor.

My laptop is one year old, and after upgrading RAM and switching the drive to SSD, there's nothing I can do for it to offset the barely adequate GPU. I know that Dell would rather sell me a new laptop every 3 years than let me upgrade the same one for 5, but it is not acceptable that after just a year the machine has pretty much hit a plateau. 

No comments:

Post a Comment