Tuesday, November 2, 2010

To Cheat or Not to Cheat (in Minecraft)?

From: To Cheat or Not to Cheat? | CraftHub

2010-11-01_001313

This is an argument I have been having with Alex Esoterica for over a week: what constitutes cheating in Minecraft?

I wasted a lot of time mining for resources, which after a while it simply becomes annoying. If you are playing in peace mode, and you are playing offline, and the game doesn’t have a goal, or any kind of achievements, then who cares? The whole idea is to have fun!

The picture above is my first train central, which already has 6 out of its 8 rail lines up and running. Had I tried to do this by mining for coal/lava and hauling sand, it would easily take me an extra week that I simply don’t have. Using an inventory editor means I can concentrate in CREATING things in Minecraft, which is what appeals to me so much about this game. Except for using the inventory editor, I am playing the game as is except for two mods: better grass, and hacked trains.

The better grass thing is simply aesthetical. As for the trains, I mastered the use of train boosters, but these are problematic because they take up too much space, and you can screw up if your timing isn’t right. With the train hack, I can place a cart and go wherever I want to go,  regardless of elevation or distance (the mod basically removes the friction and gravity penalties to carts).

What you can’t see from the picture is the endless miles of elevated walkways that I built the hard way, which took me months to complete. There is absolutely no different in the sense of achievement that I got from the parts I build with mined materials, and the parts I built with material retrieved through the inventory editor. None.

The way I see it, if there is no scoring, or end game goal, or competitive element against other live players, then there is no cheating. Using Minecraft with an inventory editor is like playing with legos when you have an unlimited supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment